Tectip Channel Blog Ad 1

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review of, Rain Gear Jeep Wrangler Cab Cover

       One of the great things about owning a Jeep Wrangler is, you can remove the top and doors. Will when the weather is great, one doesn't worry much about the insides of his or her Jeep until rainy weather comes. Never fear, there are options for those that just own a hardtop, those that don't have a top, or for those that leave the soft top down in the warmer months. The answer is a water proof cab cover, and there are a few manufactures today that offer such products. The one I will be reviewing is the Rain Gear Cab Cover, and I will express pro's and con's about the cover since I've used it.

 

            In 2011, I purchased a 2004 Wrangler with only a hard top, and at the time, I barely could afford to buy bologna to make sandwiches due to the fact I went into debt for the Jeep. I needed a cheap solution and so I got to doing a little research and discovered that a cab cover for my new to me Jeep was the answer. There where two brands I liked really well, and I decided to go with the Rain Gear brand.

 

            I went to www.jeepcovers.com, and selected the products button. From there one will see a column to the left where you select the model of Jeep you own. Once there, you have two options, you can purchase a cover that fits over the Jeep with the top off, or you can pay a little more and get a cover that will slip over the Jeep with its top on.

 

            I chose a cover that would slip over the Jeep with the top off because that's what I was needing. The shipping was fast, I received the cover in a matter of a few days, and was pleased. Inside the box I found, the cover which was inside it own carrying sack made of the same material, and a Rain Gear ball cap as a complimentary gift.

 

            I unrolled the cover, and tried it on my Jeep. First thing you do is, make sure to flip the wipers up on your Jeep, then slip the front portion of the cover over the windshield, and begin working the back portion over the roll bars. The Rain Gear Cab Cover has several straps attached to the cover where one can attach the cover to the frame rail or other places of the Jeep to prevent the wind from blowing the cover off and to tighten the cover as will.

 

            Once the cover is installed, place the wipers down in their normal position, and there are strips of velcro where one can attach to the wiper arms. With all the attachment options, it really helps to keep this cover on your Jeep.

 

            I've used this cover for will over a year now, and I must say that, the pro's out weigh the con's. This cover has really came through and helped to keep my Jeep dry and to keep the elements out of the cab of my Jeep. With all the attachment straps, I've seen this thing hold up to 50 something mile per hour winds, maybe even more during thunderstorms which I found pretty impressive. This cover also is not to difficult to install on the Jeep and not to complicated to remove as will. And lastly, the Rain Gear Cover also covers the door area, for those that want to leave the doors off ones Jeep. For those that leave the doors on their Jeep, the cover also has a velcro area that fits around the post of the side mirrors.

 

            There is one con to this cover that is somewhat annoying but can be resolved with a little engineering. When installed, and it comes a decent rain, the area right above the driver and passenger seats tends to accumulate a pool of water, large enough sometimes, fish could swim in. Doing a little research, I found on a Jeep enthusiast website of how to make a prop which attaches to the roll bars, and you install the cover over it keeping the cover raised in this area. The prop, which made from pvc pipe, can be easily constructed from two tee fittings cut in half, and three quarter inch pipe.

 
            For those that are in need of a solution to keep the elements from the cab of his or her Jeep, the "Rain Gear Cab Cover", might be a solution. It can be purchased for prices ranging from $120 to $130 plus shipping and handling. If you do decide to purchase one of these covers, I don't think you will be disappointed. Thanks for Reading this Tectip Channel Blog, hope to see you back here next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment